Washington State DUI & Criminal Defense Lawyers
Minor in Possession Integrity. Accountability. Experience.

Bellevue Minor in Possession Attorney

Arrested for Underage Drinking or Drug Use? Call Us Today!

It’s fairly normal for juveniles to push their boundaries as they near adulthood, but unfortunately pushing those boundaries too far can result in serious legal consequences. Washington State law takes underage drinking and drug use very seriously and can punish it with costly fines, jail time, and other penalties.

If you are an underage juvenile or the parent of one who was charged with a minor-in-possession offense, you need dedicated legal assistance to help you achieve the best possible outcome. At Veitch Ault & Associates, we can help clients fight their charges when they are arrested for underage drinking or drug use. We leverage our extensive experience to protect our clients’ rights and ensure they are fairly treated by the system – all while working toward securing the brightest possible futures for them.

Whether you, your child, or another juvenile in your life needs help from a Bellevue minor in possession attorney, reach out to Veitch Ault & Associates for legal support today.

Get in touch with our team by contacting us online or by calling (425) 307-5515.

What Does ‘Minor in Possession’ Mean?

There are many different circumstances under which a juvenile can be arrested for minor in possession or a related offense.

Not only can someone aged 13-20 be arrested for physically possessing alcohol, marijuana, or other drugs, they can also be arrested for exhibiting signs of being under the influence or testing positive for the presence of a substance in their system.

Possession/Consumption of a Minor

Under Washington State law, it is unlawful for anyone younger than 21 years old to possess, consume, or otherwise acquire liquor of any kind. As a gross misdemeanor, this offense can be punished by sending a juvenile to serve up to 364 days in jail and a $5,000 fine.

Minor Exhibiting Effects in Public

It is also unlawful for a minor to be in public or be in a motor vehicle in a public place while intoxicated by liquor and exhibiting the effects of consuming it. A minor can be convicted of this offense if the odor of liquor was on their breath and if they were in possession or close to a container that had or recently contained liquor OR exhibited manner, speech, appearance, lack of coordination, or other behavior that exhibits signs of intoxication.

Furnishing Liquor to a Minor

Not only can juveniles face criminal penalties for possessing and/or consuming alcohol, but those who provide it to them can as well. In Washington State, it’s illegal for anyone to give, sell, or otherwise supply liquor to someone younger than 21 years old on their premises or premises that they control.

As a gross misdemeanor, this offense is punishable by up to a year in jail and $5,000 in fines.

Additional Penalties

In addition to jail time and fines, minors who possess or consume alcohol can have their driver’s licenses suspended or revoked, depending upon how old they were at the time of the incident. License suspensions and revocations can apply regardless of whether or not driving or being in a vehicle related to the alleged incident.

In addition to criminal penalties, licensed bartenders who serve alcohol to minors can lose their licenses, and businesses that provide alcohol to minors can lose their licenses to sell liquor.

Avoiding penalties such as these is possible when you get assistance from our Bellevue minor in possession attorney. Reach out to Veitch Ault & Associates today to learn more about what our lawyers can do for you!

Notable Exceptions

There are circumstances where laws that criminalize minors possessing and/or consuming alcohol do not apply. These are usually limited to situations where a parent or guardian provides alcohol to a minor who consumes it in the presence of that parent or guardian.

Contact Us for Legal Assistance

Do you need a minor in possession attorney in Bellevue to protect your rights or help a child accused of possessing or consuming alcohol? Get in touch with Veitch Ault & Associates to see what our firm’s 35+ years of experience can do for you.

Request a consultation with our lawyer today by contacting Veitch Ault & Associates online or by calling (425) 307-5515.

Why Choose Veitch Ault & Associates?

We Are Personally Invested In Your Case
  • Over 40 Years of Combined Experience
  • Your First Initial Consultation Is Free
  • Selected as a SuperLawyer in DUI Defense in each of the past 5 years
  • Dedicated to the Highest Level of Advocacy on Behalf of Their Clients
  • You Will Receive Transparent Communication
  • Successful Defense of Hundreds of DUI Cases

Get Started With a Free Consultation

Please provide details regarding the charges faced.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.