How to Hire a DUI Attorney
Considerations When Hiring a DUI Attorney
It certainly won't be hard to find an attorney who will take your case. The question is how hard is it to hire an attorney that will be able to ensure that you get the best DUI defense possible? In a time when the DUI laws seem to get tougher every year and when the issues are getting more and more technical, it is crucial that you retain an attorney who is dedicated to the litigation of these difficult cases and is actually good at it. While almost every general practitioner is taking DUI cases, it should be obvious that no one can do everything well.
Finding a good DUI attorney in the State of Washington is like finding a needle in a haystack. While many attorneys hold themselves out to be "DUI ATTORNEYS," beyond their own advertising little else qualifies them to make this claim. Also, rarely if ever, will you find those attorneys who are considered among the top in their field, sending solicitation letters to those unfortunate individuals whose names they pull daily from the court files.
The following questions should help you in narrowing the field:
Are you a member of the National College of DUI Defense(NCDD) ?
- The NCDD is the undisputed top DUI Attorney organization in America, providing extensive DUI defense training, list serve access and a host of DUI defense support materials for its members. Our attorneys have more than 35 years of combined membership with NCDD.
Are you a member of any organizations dedicated solely to the defense of DUI?
- In addition to being longtime members of the NCDD, attorney Veitch is a founding member and past-president of the Northwest Academy of DUI Defense. NADD is comprised of many of the top DUI litigators in Western Washington.
How many DUI cases have you handled in your career?
- With a practice primarily limited to the exceptional defense of DUI cases and various other traffic offenses and misdemeanors for over 40 years, our attorneys have handled literally thousands of DUI cases from start to finish.
How many DUI cases have you litigated to jury?
- Our attorneys have litigated well over 100 jury trials and have litigated many hundreds of motions.
What percentage of your practice is devoted to the defense of DUI?
- At least 90+% of our practice is limited to the exceptional defense of DUI's, but we do occasionally provide exceptional defense of other criminal charges handled in the same courts where we appear daily. Our attorneys have experience handling all types of cases from DUI to Homicide.
What seminars dedicated to the defense of DUIs and serious traffic offenses have you spoken at in recent years?
- 2017 Ignition Interlock Update-What You and Your Clients Need To Know.
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly-Legislative and Case law Update.
What articles or books have you published on the topic of DUIs?
- Defending DUI, A Defense Perspective, in The Washington Law and Practice Manual.
Do you ever use experts or investigators in defending DUIs or other serious traffic offenses?
- Absolutely. We regularly employ the use of expert witnesses, crash investigators, and toxicologists, when it is in our clients interest and budget allows.
How much do you charge to defend my DUI case?
- Our fees vary depending on your unique circumstances such as the facts of the case, the location of the case, the stage of prosecution and of course your prior record and severity of the charges. Our fees are well in line with other top attorneys. We are not a discount high volume plea mill, we are dedicated litigation attorneys who take each case seriously and charge accordingly. If cost is your main priority, we may not be right for you. If achieving the best possible outcome is your priority, we can help.
How to Get Started
Call or email us now to schedule a free in-person or virtual consultation. There really is no better way to choose an attorney than to meet with those you are considering and select the one that suits you best. Hiring an attorney over the phone, or based merely on fees, should be avoided if at all possible. The answers to all of the above questions will vary greatly and it is up to your own common sense what level of experience you want in your attorney. A criminal conviction for a DUI or related offense can be devastating and can have dramatic effects on your life for years to come. You need someone who knows what the possibilities are and who can help you side-step the landmines.
Over 40 Years of Combined Experience
Your First Initial Consultation Is Free
Selected as a SuperLawyer in DUI Defense in each of the past 5 years
Dedicated to the Highest Level of Advocacy on Behalf of Their Clients
You Will Receive Transparent Communication
Successful Defense of Hundreds of DUI Cases